The NECOS platform will be based on state of the art open software platforms, which will be carefully selected, rather than start from scratch. This baseline platform will be enhanced with the management and orchestration algorithms and the APIs that will constitute the research activity of the project. Finally, the NECOS platform will be validated, in the context of the two proposed use cases, using the 5TONIC and FIBRE testing frameworks.
The NECOS approach will be manifested in a platform whose main distinguishing features are:
1. The Slice as a Service –- a new deployment model. A slice is a grouping of resources managed as a whole, and that can accommodate service components, independent of other slices.
2. Embedded algorithms for an optimal allocation of resources to slices in the cloud and networking infrastructure, to respond to the dynamic changes of the various service demands.
3. A management and orchestration approach making use of artificial intelligence techniques in order to tackle with the complexity of large scale virtualized infrastructure environments.
4. Making reality the lightweight principle, in terms of low footprint components deployable on large number of small network and cloud devices at the edges of the network.
From 01-11-2017 to 31-10-2019
OBJECTIVES & FOCUS
- Solve the limitations of current cloud computing infrastructures to respond to the demand of new services.
- Make a reference implementation as a proof of concept of Slice as a Service, being a solution to the challenges posed in the provisioning and management of cloud-based services.
- Novel solution based on resource virtualization - Lightweight Slice Defined Cloud (LSDC) - as an approach for automating the process of optimal cloud configuration by extending the virtualization concept to all resources in a data centre.
- Provide an uniform management with a high-level of autonomicity for the currently separated computing, connectivity and storage resources.
Novel Enablers for Cloud Slicing