As of today, we estimate 1.4 billion of unconnected people live in areas where mobile broadband coverage is not available, showing the immense impact of a network that can deliver high quality Internet access in remote areas. It is clear that a sustainable rural service will not be available unless network deployments and business strategies are specifically tailored to this scenario.
The goal of 5G-RANGE is surpass the limitations of current technologies, making the coverage of low populate areas a feasible business. Clearly, this new 5G mode needs to be flexible to comply with different applications and services.
Design, develop, implement and validate the mechanisms to enable the 5G network to provide an economically effective solution for Internet access for remote areas.
From 01-11-2017 to 30-04-2020
OBJECTIVES & FOCUS
- Integrate state-of-the-art in mobile communication with business concepts of sharing economy.
- Create a cell radius above 50 km with at least 100 Mbps at the edge, employing both licensed and unlicensed frequencies, while cognitive radio techniques will be used to protect incumbents.
- Combine innovative PHY and a cognitive MAC, to result in a 5G mode able to reach the unconnected people, not only in Brazil, but worldwide.
- Allow any local entrepreneur to become a profitable mobile rural infrastructure operator with extremely capillary commercialization and operating capabilities.
- New waveform, with new mechanisms in the MAC and Network layers, to provide the desirable dynamic and fragmented spectrum allocation.
- Trigger new agribusiness services, bringing new revenues for different sectors of our society.
Remote area Access Network for 5th GEneration